A senior information systems professional experienced in all aspects of information technology, early on I designed and implemented application and system software on several computing platforms, using many different tools. Later, I focused my efforts on technology training, including the design and construction of educational material for delivery in an online environment. I continue to be concerned with the use and abuse of technology.
Assembler, TSO/ISPF Dialog Construction
Development Platforms and Tools
CICS, Dreamweaver, Macintosh, MS-DOS, MS-Windows, MVS, TSO/ISPF, UNIX, VM/CMS
IMS DB/DC, SQL, System 2000
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
Diploma Program in Adult Training and Development
University of Toronto
Graduate level courses in Computer Science
University of Waterloo
B. Math, Applied Analysis and Computer Science
Various Clients (1994-2013)
- Conducted group and one-on-one training sessions helping clients learn to make effective use of their computers.
- Designed and maintained client websites, using content managers as well as direct HTML modification.
Seneca College (2007)
- Coached instructor in the implementation of a WebQuest on Ethical Decision-Making for nursing students using the Blackboard learning management system.
Humber College (2000-2006)
- Developed and taught online courses using the WebCT learning management system.
- Taught classroom courses on IBM mainframe OS fundamentals and JCL, preparing and delivering lectures, supervising labs, and composing and grading tests and assignments.
Bernard Betel Centre for Creative Living (2004)
- Taught a classroom course on MS Windows for seniors.
Ryerson University (2002)
- Working with a subject matter expert, designed and constructed an online, WebCT course "Introduction to Gerontology", defining WebCT learning paths and creating css-tagged HTML documents.
- Improved accessibility to the content of an online, WebCT-based Statistics course, editing and restructuring an instructor's MS-Word notes and HTML files.
- Member of a small team of mainframe software developers, maintained and enhanced Assembler-language components of the Sharp APL OS/390 software product.
- Developed the C-language, Macintosh version of a bilingual Musical Works Registration application; supervised its Visual Basic implementation under MS-Windows.
ANGOSS Software (1993-1994)
- Designed and implemented enhancements to Smartware II, a UNIX/MS-DOS cross-platform application generation tool, modifying parts of that large C-language system using HP-UX.
Sun Life (1990-1996)
- Created ISPF Dialogs including over 100 screens, 80,000 lines of TSO CLISTs and MVS Assembler and COBOL II programs.
Built an VSAM-driven Assembly language shell to dynamically allocate project datasets and control execution of a FOCUS query tool.
Telesis North (1990)
- Developed a Macintosh Application and Desk Accessory to manage electronic mail.
- Developed the Microsoft Windows C-language prototype of the DEFT Macintosh-based CASE tool; prepared a project plan for that tool's Windows implementation.
IBM Toronto Lab (1987-1988)
- Constructed XEDIT/REXX-macro tools for the translation from Pascal to C of the 40,000 source code lines of the code generation back-end of the IBM C/370 Compiler, to improve the productivity of IBM developers delivering that product.
- Defined test case function matrices for the verification of C-language support in the INSPECT symbolic debugger, and led the team developing and executing those test cases.
Metro Toronto Children's Services (1987)
- Implemented a system to distribute PC-resident Oracle data bases, using MVS SAS and TSO CLISTs, and MS-DOS Pro*C programs, to allow distributed data across seven client sites.
Ontario Solicitor-General's Infotech Branch (1986-1987)
- Implemented enhancements to a C-language PC-based dialogue manager generated using the XENIX tools YACC and LEX.
Bell Northern Research (1983-1986)
- Developed and taught programmer training courses on the Northern Telecom Meridian IS Software Architecture, and on the BNR multi-tasking dialect of Pascal.
- Defined the architecture for, and implemented a prototype of the Meridian IS Forms Handler.
- Implemented enhancements to the BNR Pascal Symbolic Debugger.
Ontario Ministry of Transport (1982-1983)
- Extended the DBAid for IMS software product to enhance the productivity of programmers developing PL/I applications accessing IMS Fastpath databases.
Art Benjamin Associates (1980-1982)
- Developed components of ACT/1, an application prototyping tool for TSO, CICS, and CMS, defining its imbedded programming language and implementing a syntax-directed parser.
- For the Virginia National Bank, developed the DBAid for IMS software product, an ISPF-based programmer and operator productivity tool supporting the development and operation of IMS DB/DC systems.
- Designed and taught courses on database management, structured system analysis and structured design.
- Analyzed requirements and designed database systems for US federal government clients.
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (1976-1978)
- Defined standards and developed tools for IMS DB/DC database application development.
- Assembled and supervised the delivery of a two-week course for application programmers on system development using IMS DB/DC.
- Installed and modified IBM mainframe system software.